Introduction to development of GIS by Kaohsiung City Government
In order to promote GIS and provide GIS service, Kaohsiung City Government set "Guidelines for Establishing Kaohsiung City GIS Promotion Task Force" and established a competent authority in 1990, which took the initiative among local governments in Taiwan. Later in 2007, the city government completed an operational framework for GIS data warehousing and supply, planning for application systems as well as collecting of map data. In line with planning results, scheduled implementation began in 2009 in aiming to construct and feature the Kaohsiung City GIS Web Portal.
Goals and strategies
- 1. In accordance to municipal development plan and with NGIS policy, apply financial subsidies for development of GIS infrastructure.
- 2. Develop administrative-oriented GIS application systems to improve administrative efficiency and the public services.
- 3. Establish a workflow for establishing updating and maintaining databases to secure accuracy of GIS data.
- 4. Map out a mechanism to integrate projects from units of the government to maximize benefits of resource sharing.
In order to enhance the quality of urban development and administrative efficiency as well as to operate in coordination with NGIS promotion from central government, Kaohsiung City Government set "Guidelines for Establishing Kaohsiung City GIS Promotion Task Force" in 1990 and established a competent authority which lead by Land Administration Bureau.
Kaohsiung City Government Geographic Information Website provides various inquiry services including map searching, application for map acquisition, introductions to the local and national GIS regulations and standards, relative links to web services from governmental agencies, schools, private organizations and foreign organizations, Q & A and map database upgrading information. Relative searching includes real estate information, urban planning and housing information, transportation services, recreational and tourism guide services, information on public utility pipelines and inquiry about roads and addresses.
- Kaohsiung City Real Time Bus Arrival Information System
- Kaohsiung Travel Online System
- Kaohsiung e-land Real Estate Website